Are seeds legal in Iowa?
Read our full legal disclaimer HERE.
We do not ship seeds to states where seeds are not legal
Hemp seeds are illegal according to Iowa state law.
Read our legal disclaimer HERE. While we try to stay as up to date as possible on all state laws, you should do your own due diligence and work with a legal professional to ensure you are operating legally in your state or territory at all times.
The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship is in the process of developing a state plan to license and regulate the production of hemp. It was submitted to the USDA for approval on Dec. 11, 2019. It is not legal to grow, possess, buy or sell hemp in Iowa until the USDA approves the state plan and the Department publishes notice of the approval in the Iowa Administrative Bulletin. Hemp production will likely not be legalized until the 2020 growing season at the earliest, depending on the timing of the review and approval process. Per Iowa DOA Website
CHAPTER 96 – HEMP
1. The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof, and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using post decarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods.
2. A plant of the genus Cannabis other than Cannabis sativa L., with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using post decarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods, but only to the extent allowed by the department in accordance with applicable federal law, including the federal hemp law.
“THC” means total tetrahydrocannabinol as determined by an official laboratory test post decarboxylation.
Find The Full Text Legal Document HERE
IOWA CODE 124 – CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
20. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plants of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, Thu Dec 05 12:35:22 2019 Iowa Code 2020, Chapter 124 (49, 4) §124.101, CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES 4 manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
4. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for purposes of this paragraph only, the term “isomer” includes the optical, position and geometric isomers):
u. Tetrahydrocannabinols, except as otherwise provided by rules of the board for medicinal purposes, meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (Cannabis plant) as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the Cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following:
(1) 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(2) 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(3) 3,4 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers. (Since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions covered.)
Find The Full Text Legal Document HERE